Thursday, March 21, 2013

Flying-The Finale

It's just before landing now and everyone has that look, the one where you notice them eyeing the overhead compartments, making their escape plans. Of course we all know that the only escape plan involves a snail like exit behind an assorted bunch of not so seasoned travellers. I have huge admiration for the ones who stay seated because they aren't in a rush, as I'm sure they have an equalled disgust for how little patience most of us have. The flight attendants are now hurriedly getting things organized, taking any loose garbage and telling people to put their chairs upright, oh, and to lose their big headphones, as it's a HUGE safety risk to wear them.... Really??... It would be quite the funeral though if you were laying in your casket and someone in the crowd whispered, "How did he die again?"..to which someone replies, "He didn't listen to the stewardess when she told him to take off his earphones and they choked him to death upon landing....everyone else survived..poor guy"..."oh and his seat was NOT in the upright position. I think this added to his problems.."....
    Laura and I had the not so pleasure once of flying in the last seats of the plane. I can vividly remember that our seats reclined approximately 3 inches, banging against the lavatory wall, when one of the stewards came up and gave Laura a hard time. It was comical! "ah m'am, I may look dumb but I know what I'm doing. Please put your seat in the upright position."..hahaa..the look on her face was priceless. That was the five hour trip where at the end my legs wouldn't unbuckle. I try to forget it.
    The landing is my favourite part. That sensation you get just before the wheels touch down on the tarmac, helped by the last little push of the throttle to keep the nose up a little as you land. Then the noise of the reverse thrusters and the first quick thoughts of your destination. Even though a lot of what I wrote seems a tad negative, believe me when I say that I love flying. All of those quirky incidents that I mentioned before are really what makes it interesting to me.
    Too tall to be a pilot and definitely not having the nerve to service people in the cabin, maybe I'll take up crash scene investigation or air traffic control!!...Yikes, you say?...

No comments: